21 Days of Gratitude-Day 9 (My Living Hero)

March 20, 2014 

Here is a letter of gratitude I wrote my father who is currently battling Parkinson's and lives in a nursing home:

Dear Dad, 

On March 12th I made a decision to embark on a 21-Day Gratitude Challenge where I would write 21 people who have influenced my life greatly and let them know why. 

I am grateful for your presence in my life for the following reasons: 

1-You have always protected both me and my brother from harm. Throughout our lifetime you have ensured with we had a safe place to live. We never had to live in a violent community and the places you chose for us to live have us the opportunity to be exposed to a diverse community. Because of this I have been able to adapt very well to many situations and it is all because of your decision to keep us safe. 

2-You have always been a father that has been involved in my life. Never once did I feel that you were absent. This was a truly a blessing since many people I know have not been fortunate to have this experience.

3-You truly help make sure I went to college. It was you that helped me do my initial finanicial aid application and this helped to ensure that I had funding to go to Kutztown University. Without this very act, I would have never gone their and my life would have been dramatically different. 

4-You always took care of mom and stuck in there when things were tough. Not once did you leave us stranded. I cannot imagine being married to someone who not only was mentally ill for much of the time you were married but also suffered numerous physical illnesses. Even in her death, you made sure that her final wishes happened by finding the organization that would allow her body to be donated to science. 

5-You taught me the value of hard work and being passionate about your work. Even the times you were laid off you still were working on trying to get back to work and continue to do what you loved. Not only did your actions teach me that discipline is necessary for all things but you taught me how to survive through tough times. 

6-Lastly, I want to thank you for handling your Parkinson's Disease like a CHAMP! Although I can see sometimes it is painful for you, you still try to be optimistic and realistic about your situation. This optimism and realism I have seen from you throughout my lifetime and has rubbed off on me. 

Dad- I just want to let you know that you are the best father a daughter could ever have! 

Love, 

Cherie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy-Do You Know What Your Imprint with Be from the Grave?

Manor College's Education LibGuide-Direct Links to Tabs

Reflection: How We Treat Each Other?