A Basic Human Right: Reading


www.scholastic.com/readeveryday/pdfs/RBORR_FNL.pdf

Scholastic recently published a Reading Bill of Rights-A Child's Right to Read. Within the bill there are 8 powerful We Believe statements of what we must do to ensure that every child learns how to read. It is tragic that we continue to graduate students in this country who do not have basic reading proficiency. 

Not being able to read impacts a person's life greatly and hamper their chances of reaching their full potential. 

I am thankful I came from a home that valued reading. I am thankful that I went to school that introduce me to text beyond my interests. I am thankful for having access to great libraries and books stores, as well as the huge e-book library found of the web. 

We need to move to world where people spend more time reading books (whether visually and/or auditory) and taking time to discuss great literature. 

The best way to educate is reading and we we fail to ensure that all people have access to high quality books and learn how to read; we are dooming them to a life they do not deserve.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy-Do You Know What Your Imprint with Be from the Grave?

Manor College's Education LibGuide-Direct Links to Tabs

Reflection: How We Treat Each Other?