Good Neighbors

I just finished Good Neighbors by Ryan David Jahn, which is a fictionalized portrayal of the 1964 death of Kitty Genovese.

The book provides you with a unique perspective of what "good neighbors" could possible be doing as a fellow neighbor is stabbed. Each of the neighbors have very different and real problems which prevent them from acting on the screams they hear during the middle of the night. Each neighbor believes someone else will call the police but no one does much like the true story of Genovese.

It's sad to think that we would not act upon the screams of another. As a person, who has lived in the same apartment complex (3 different apts) for the past 14 years, I always notice the in and outs of my neighbors. If I do not here them, I become concern; and will often act upon it. An example of this occurred about seven or eight years ago, when one of my neighbors, who usually made a tremendous amount of noise began to cough violently one night. The next day, I did not here him in the evening and because I had always heard him every night, I decided to call the apartment office. I remember fondly telling them: "I think my neighbor might have died." They told me they would check on it for me.

About a week later, my neighbor knocked on my door. He told me that he heard I made the phone call and appreciated it. He actually after that night had to go to the hospital and had been there for a week.

Moral of the Story: If you hear something suspicious, make the phone call. It cost nothing and you may save someone's life. 911 would rather here 10 calls reporting the same thing, then one reporting a death.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Good-Neighbors/Ryan-David-Jahn/e/9780143118961/?itm=3&USRI=ryan+david+jahn#EditorialReviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy-Do You Know What Your Imprint with Be from the Grave?

Manor College's Education LibGuide-Direct Links to Tabs

Reflection: How We Treat Each Other?