Moving Beyond Our Limits: What I learned from John C. Maxwell's No Limits Book
Recently I had the pleasure of reading John C. Maxwell's Book, " No Limits: Blow the Cap Off Your Capacity ." If I were rich, I would buy a copy for every student I teach and/or mentor for the rest of my life. His latest book is that powerful. His book is broken into three main sections: Awareness, Ability, and Choices. All three are essential to our ability to reach our capacity and move beyond it. Often the daily stress of life leads us to believe that many things we desire to achieve are not achievable. Most are, and the difficult ones often can be made when we see beyond what we think or have been told is our capacity. John C. Maxwell's book looks at our current obtained capabilities into seven distinct capabilities: energy, emotional, thinking, people, creative, production, and leadership. Here are few things that stood out for me in this section of the book: The concept of the Triple R's: Requirement, Return, and Reward "Dysfunctional people w...
I ready this study today and all I could say was this is SHAMEFUL! It's very disheartening to know that only 2% of high school seniors in 2010 could answer a simple question regarding the Brown vs. the Board of Education decision. A decision that impacts all schools today!
ReplyDeleteWhat really bothered me was the fact that the state I live in Pennsylvania received an F, and does not require any type of civil rights curriculum in it's state standards.
This made me wonder what history are we teaching students? Why are we still deliberately avoiding the issue of racism? Is it really that scary? What will be the impact of not discussing civil rights beyond Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks?
On a promising note-three states are making a conscious effort to ensure that we continue to review civil rights education in our schools:
Alabama, Florida, and Georgia.
I am thankful I had two parents who were born and raised in the south (VA and SC) and that my mother and I often had conversations about civil rights, watched documentaries on it together, and shared books on the topic.
Hopefully things will change, otherwise, I think history may repeat itself.