September

In honor of the 12th Anniversary I would like to share my thoughts on that faithful day.

September a time for anew but who knew it would be a time for tragedy. September 11 began a day that began ordinary and routine, but ended tragically. The event is one that one should never forget but many have forgotten the lost that occurred.

On September 11, I was a 28 years old early intervention teacher. At the time, I did know that terrorism could occur on such a grand scale on US soil. I quickly learned shortly after the first tower was hit that that was not the case.

All I could think when my colleague and friend, Cynthia came into the bathroom to tell me that plane had hit the trade towers was: this is not possible. 

Sadly I learned that it was. All I could think was that WW3 had arrived and we needed to get these kids home to their parents. Luckily for us their parents came to them.

As the days followed 9-11, I grew anger. Angry that we were not aware that this was a possibility. Angry that we could come up with profiles of hijackers fairly quickly but could not prevent them from getting on the plane. Angry that almost 3000 people died and millions affected because of HATE.

The lessons I learned from 9-11 is that history does repeat itself. Although the situations may not be similar they definitely mirror each other. I often wonder why we as Americans no longer have conversations about this, except for a anniversary of an event.

Even more tragically we never have taken a hard look at our own domestic terrorism and why it happens, such as the bombing of the federal building in OK.

Even more tragic I am told by my nieces and nephew that very little is talked about this event in school.

Each September we must take time to remember and take time to discuss why HATE leads to this type of event. Have a discussion, teach a young person about this event, and take time to view memorial story of not only of those who were lost but of those who survived.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy-Do You Know What Your Imprint with Be from the Grave?

Manor College's Education LibGuide-Direct Links to Tabs

Reflection: How We Treat Each Other?