Getting A Life: Why Birthday Reflections are Essential.



"Get a life in which you notice the smell of salt water pushing itself on a breeze over the dunes, a life in which you stop and watch how a red-tailed hawk circles over a pond and a stand of pines. Get a life in which you pay attention to the baby as she scowls with concentration when she tries to pick up a Cheerio with her thumb."

Quindlen, Anna (2001-04-01). A Short Guide to a Happy Life (Kindle Locations 82-84). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Today is my birthday (6-20) and I received a wonderful gift from a friend that allowed me to purchase this book (along with many others) by Quindlen. One of the best short reads I have ever read. In the book she talks a lot about how we need to GET A LIFE. No one filled with stuff and big things, but one filled with memories that matter and make a differences in lives of yourself and others.

This quote sums it pretty well and makes the case why on each birthday I try to stop and hear and see the joys of life. Today's joy: hearing my lovely robin friends sing their carols this morning and seeing the first sunrise of the summer.

I often wonder how many people take time to do just this. I will say as I have reached the end of my 30s that as much as a love surfing the Internet, emailing, and reading online, I now make a conscious effort to be one with life and nature daily. Result: A VERY HAPPY LIFE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy-Do You Know What Your Imprint with Be from the Grave?

Manor College's Education LibGuide-Direct Links to Tabs

Reflection: How We Treat Each Other?